Onoway and Lac Ste. Anne County have forged a partnership designed to support business development within the region.
The Partnership understands that this is a first step, and with direction from the Steering Committee, the Partnership foresees adding other municipal partners from within the Lac Ste. Anne region in the future.
The Steering Committee is a first step in a regional organization, and was specifically designed as a small, nimble committee to move forward on a larger regional collaboration project. The Steering Committee is a pilot project to understand the opportunities and challenges of forming a new collaborative entity and will entertain additional partners when the time is right. Activities completed by the Partnership over the past few months include:
- Creation of the new Partners in Progress website to inform and update business activity
- Lac Ste. Anne County Collaborative Regional Economic Development Models Study
- Development of On Our Way to Endless Opportunity – An Economic Roadmap for the Onoway and Lac Ste. Anne Partnership
- Competitive Analysis comparing the Town of Onoway to similar/neighbouring towns and comparing Lac Ste. Anne County to similar/neighbouring counties
The Partnership has developed an ambitious workplan to achieve the recommendations contained within the On Our Way to Endless Opportunity Economic Roadmap. The Steering Committee continues to meet to move the Partnership forward. Projects currently underway include:
- Creation of an economic development advisory committee. Through consultation, it was clear that some felt business concerns were not being heard by the respective Councils. The Steering Committee is now following up on the recommendation from the Roadmap and is forming an economic development advisory committee. Business and community leaders who may be interested in serving on the Advisory Committee are encouraged to submit a letter of interest to Nick Gelych (Chair of the Steering Committee and Deputy Reeve of Lac Ste. Anne County) by July 15, 2019. Your letter of interest should include a brief description of your business/community background and why you wish to be on the Advisory Committee.
- Development Survey. The Steering Committee will be embarking on a confidential survey to learn what is working and what is not working with the Development Permit process in the Town and in the County. Individuals and companies who have recently undertaken development projects in the region will be asked to complete an online survey. Results will be tabulated and presented to the Steering Committee for recommendations
- Tourism is considered an economic generator for this region. The Steering Committee is developing a short, simple survey to better understand the wants and needs of tourists in this region. The survey will be used by organizers of events or campground hosts to gain invaluable knowledge on how not improve the visitor experience.
Formed in 2018, the Onoway/Lac Ste. Anne Partnership Steering Committee is mandated with promotion of the Lac Ste. Anne region and support of its local economy. This group meets monthly to discuss, plan and implement regional business development strategies. Continue to watch this site for exciting new projects the Steering Committee will be undertaking throughout the year to support regional business owners.